Monday, July 07, 2008

Wimbledon 2008

The Wimbledon Championship 2008 has just ended with great matches from great players.

Wimbledon is the oldest tennis tournament in the world and it's been regarded by most people that it's the most pretigious tennis tournament on earth. It's a tennis player dream to ever win this championship.

I've watched some of the matches on TV and there's a player I wanted to give my respect to, Ms. Zheng Jie of China. She's ranked 133th in the world and she's given a wildcard to get into the main draws.

But she smashed her way to semi-finals beating some of the top seeds in the world, like Ana Ivanović [rank 1]. I hoped she can beat Serena in the Semis but I knew her chances were on fine lines. Anyway, kudos to Zheng Jie though she lost the match!

Zheng Jie - Made China proud by being the first Chinese player to reach Wimbledon semi-final


Serena Williams - Runner-up in the Ladies Singles [look at her muscles, bigger than my thigh leh]


Venus Williams - beat her own sister in the finals to win the Wimbledon Ladies Singles for the fifth time


After the ladies played, it's the gentlemen's time. The 2008 Wimbledon gentlemen singles final between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer was the longest final match ever.

The top two ranked players had a gruelling 4 hours and 48 minutes with two rain delays.


Nadal won his first Wimbledon beating Federer 6-4, 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-7 (8-10), 9-7


Federer failed to retain the title he won for the past five years



The whole championship was very exciting and breath-taking and this is the first time I've watched a tennnis tournament to the end. Congratulations to Rafael Nadal and Venus Williams once again, good job to them!

Now back to myself, I've not touch tennis for a long long time now. My racquet is left there collecting dust and I wish I can pick it up and swing like Nadal.

Anybody want to play tennis with me? I wanna play... Billy, out.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've heard about Zheng Jie thru HK radio for a few days when d tournament were still on.

Some plp say is impossible for her, as people only need 2 steps across d court but she need 6 steps. But her determination has proven those plp wrong.

Respect her!

Billy said...

[puiyeel]
yea, she's so petite and the european girls are all so tall. Zheng Jie has to work extra hard to beat these girls. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails