Tuesday, December 03, 2013

My First Visit to the Cat City [Part 1]

20 October 2012 @ Kuching

Before I begin writing, I shall apologize to my mates as I have lost all the photos in my camera due to my own carelessness - deleting the photos thinking that I have already backed them up into my hard disk. We lost most of the group shots but I'm glad we still have some remains in my friend's camera.

Sarawak was the only state I have not been to until this trip to Kuching. Aside from my maiden trip to the cat city, it was also my first holiday with my secondary school buddies.


We touched down the airport and rented a Proton Saga for the whole stay in Kuching. First thing up, of course to pay a visit to the reputable Cat Statue in the heart of the city.


We walked around the town and trying to get ourselves familiarized with the roads so that we don't get lost driving around.


Right after checking into our hotel - Lime Tree Hotel, I made a call to Wilson to ask if he's free to meet up. And he suggested to have dinner at Top Spot Food Court.


Top Spot Food Courts seems like a Hot Spot Makan Place for the locals!

We made it there in just minutes and Wilson has already done ordering food for us. A+ Service as a tour guide. Hehe...


Some of the dishes were an eye-opener for me but all of them tasted heavenly-delicious.

Paku-pakis

Big humongous prawns

Kuching's version of Oh-Chien (Fried Oyster)

Ayam Pansuh - A local delicacy

Dinner was very satisfying. We took a stroll around town but there wasn't much to see or do after dark in Kuching.


21 October 2012 @ Cat Museum & Cultural Village

Wilson agreed to take us around the next day and we started the day early by visiting the Cat Museum.


Inside the museum, you'll see everything and anything that can relate to a cat. You'll need to pay a fee if you'd like to bring along your camera.



Even the catwoman?!

Guess this is the only group shot I have
Me, Cheryl, Immanuel, Wilson, MengChew, JooLi

Next stop: Sarawak Cultural Village

Our student cards came in handy again, got a 75% off normal ticket price for students at only RM15!



We reached just in time for the cultural show to start. Got ourselves a nice cozy spot and enjoyed the performance.



It was a very colourful and vibrant performance, with each ethnic group showing off their very own costumes and dances.


Towards the end of the show, the men used a sumpit (blowpipe) to burst the balloons on stage. They even roped in a girl from the audience for the stunt.


After the show, we started walking around the village. Each ethnic group's traditional houses were built and visitors were allowed to go in.


Inside each house, there will be instruments, handicrafts, food and all sorts of stuff related to that tribe.


You can even purchase the products there and then if you really like them!




Halfway through the village, the rain started pouring heavily. We had no choice but to hide at the house we're at.

While waiting for the rain to stop, one of the tribe members started playing on his instrument. The music being played was unique and I really enjoyed it.


The rain didn't stop for some time and we decided to head out to the car to get more umbrellas. Then, we moved on to the other parts of the village.


One of the new things I learnt at the village was that sago is not a fruit and it's not round in nature! Gosh, I feel so jakun...


The day ended with a lousy dinner and a walk at the night market in the rain.

Quite a day with a lot of rain. Billy, out.

1 comment:

Julez said...

OMG didnt even know you updated the blog. Haha

Related Posts with Thumbnails